BJC Printer setup after installing cups-1.1.18

Simon Geard delgarde at ihug.co.nz
Tue Jul 1 08:47:01 PDT 2003

Bill's LFS Login wrote:

>Someone (you) asked something along the lines of "how could a user not
>know to enable the printer in the kernel if they want to print".
>Certainly this must have been a rhetorical question. Any time on the
>support lists and you see folks that don't know "man", aren't able to
>follow even the CnP stuff in the book,... it should be *obvious*, IMO,
>that some will forget to enable printer support in the kernel. This has
>been brought as a result of the thread.

Not to mention the differences between parallel-port and USB printers,
since I imagine there's quite a bit of difference in kernel config
between the two. That stuff does need to be dealt with somewhere - I've
never tried setting up USB printer on Linux (or a parallel one on LFS
for that matter), but given the scale of the USB subsystem, I imagine it
can be messy.

Simon.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org