sm56 modem module

Declan. Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Tue Jul 1 01:31:42 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 09:03:36AM +0200, dienadel enlightened us thusly
> hi,
>
> i'm not sure if this is the correct place to put this message but...
>
> yesterday, i installed the binary motorola sm56 modem drivers. these
> were the steps:
>
> - install from source rpm, as the drivers supplied by motorola, are only
> in thar format
> - rpm -i sm56.rpm
> - All ok, except for this: /usr/sbin/sm56setup: lspci not found (or
> similar). The last messahe was: installation of sm56 succesful
>
> the instalation created a module called sm56.o in the modules
> directories, and, when i typed lsmod sm56:
>
> - sm56 was compiled with gcc 2, and the kernel with gcc 3. it's known,
> that this doesn't work
>
> Motorola hasn't support anymore this winmodem, so i'll can only work
> with that module complied with gcc2.
>
> Is there any solution, or must i buy a modem? :-(

As the owner of some of the world'sworst hardware, I had one of those
sm56 modems with a motorola chip on it. I never got it to work under
linux, and always hated it.

I gave mine to a windoze user. I would suggest you do likewise. There
just wasn't enough of them out there to get support going. Someone wrote
a driver and everybody forgot about it.

If you got the driver to compile, I would play with modules.conf and
read its manpage before scrapping it.

as for lspci: make a symlink to 'scanpci' in the path and you should be
ok on that one. It was looking for the thing.

--

	With best Regards,

	Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org