Why my mutt can not display color?

Tony Wang wwang at party.to
Tue Jul 1 01:19:32 PDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 02:41:53AM -0500, Dagmar d'Surreal wrote:
> Subject: Re: Why my mutt can not display color?
> From: "Dagmar d'Surreal" <dagmar.wants at nospam.com>
> To: BLFS Support <blfs-support at linuxfromscratch.org>
> Date: 01 Jul 2003 02:41:53 -0500
>
> On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 00:14, Tony Wang wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:30:50AM -0400, Jeremy Utley wrote:
> (snippage)
> > > try this:
> > >
> > > export TERM=xterm-color
> > >
> > > before you run mutt - the default TERM type for an xterm is "xterm"
> > > which
> > > doesn't support color.
> > >
> > > -J-
> > >
> > It does work, thank you very much, but I just wonder why the mutt manual
> > not mention this? and is there other choice for the $TERM(I have heard
> > "linux" as somebody mentioned)?
>
> The mutt manual is trying to work within the scope of things that apply
> to Mutt alone.  To do this they've got to assume that everything that is
> not Mutt is configured correctly and work from there, otherwise things
> are likely to get out of control and what would otherwise be a rather
> simple document can turn into something monstrous and unmaintainable in
> a hurry.
>
> "linux" is not particularly a good choice for xterms as it applies to
> the linux console, and the definitions in the termcap entries for linux,
> xterm, and xterm-color differ in key places because the capabilities of
> each of those terminals is different.  (consoles, for instance, aren't
> likely to emit a SIGWINCH and change in size.)
>
> --
> The email address above is just as phony as it looks, and for obvious reasons.
> Instant messaging contact nfo: AIM: evilDagmar  Jabber: evilDagmar at jabber.org

Thanks a lot!

I found that the default $TERM in console is "linux" and in xterm or
rxvt is "xterm", but I can not find where the $TERM is set,
/etc/profile? /etc/bashrc? ~/.bash_profile? ~/.bashrc? /etc/inittab or
~/.xinitrc?

I think I can change the viriable to "xterm-color" in ~/.bash_profile,
is that right?

regards,
Tony
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org