Why my mutt can not display color?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar.wants at nospam.com
Tue Jul 1 00:41:53 PDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 00:14, Tony Wang wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 12:30:50AM -0400, Jeremy Utley wrote:
(snippage)
> > try this:
> >
> > export TERM=xterm-color
> >
> > before you run mutt - the default TERM type for an xterm is "xterm"
> > which
> > doesn't support color.
> >
> > -J-
> >
> It does work, thank you very much, but I just wonder why the mutt manual
> not mention this? and is there other choice for the $TERM(I have heard
> "linux" as somebody mentioned)?

The mutt manual is trying to work within the scope of things that apply
to Mutt alone.  To do this they've got to assume that everything that is
not Mutt is configured correctly and work from there, otherwise things
are likely to get out of control and what would otherwise be a rather
simple document can turn into something monstrous and unmaintainable in
a hurry.

"linux" is not particularly a good choice for xterms as it applies to
the linux console, and the definitions in the termcap entries for linux,
xterm, and xterm-color differ in key places because the capabilities of
each of those terminals is different.  (consoles, for instance, aren't
likely to emit a SIGWINCH and change in size.)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org