Still unable to get email with fetchmail

drharlan at pacbell.net drharlan at pacbell.net
Sat Nov 30 11:01:10 PST 2002

On or therabout 30 Nov, Laurence Turpin pontificated:

> At the moment I have my .fetchmailrc file set as follows
>
> poll pop.virgin.net protocol pop3 user laurie.turpin is root here
>
> It produces the following output when I run fetchmail
>
> fetchmail
> Enter password for laurie.turpin at pop.virgin.net: <PASSWORD>
> fetchmail: Repoll immediately on laurie.turpin at mail.virgin.net
> 34 messages for laurie.turpin at mail.virgin.net (143426 octets)
> reading message laurie.turpin at mail.virgin.net: 1 of 34 (2907 octets)
> .fetchmail
> SMTP connect to localhost failed
> fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching for pop.virgin.net
> fetchmail: Query status=10(SMTP)
>
> In my mandrake 8.2 system
> Mozilla is setup as follows
>
> Incoming mail is POP3 from server pop.virgin.net
> Outgoing mail is SMTP to smtp.virgin.net
> my email address is laurie.turpin at virgin.net
> My username is laurie.turpin
>
> Can you help please.
> putting my password into the .fetchmailrc file makes no difference other
> than I not requested to enter my password.

How are you getting your mail delivered to your mailbox ?  I use
procmail and have it specified in the fetchmailrc file.  Fetchmail only
has one piece of the action so you'll need a delivery agent.  I don't
know if sendmail can handle this without procmail.

Wayne
I'd rather be a free electron than a loose cannon.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org