Got screwed... almost.

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Fri Nov 29 17:49:07 PST 2002

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 01:36:31 +0000 (UTC)
remy.bosch at hccnet.nl ("R. Bosch") wrote:

> On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:29:43 +0000  Mister Ian just wrote the
> following:
>
> > ATI at least make available progamming details for their cards, and
> > their 'unified' driver WILL work on any radeon with a 2-byte hack to
> > twiddle the PCI ID.
>
> I only read about re-flashing the BOIS. How does twiddling work?

instead of changing the PCI ID the card reports, it changes the value
the driver expects. the same idea really, but less risky.

> > NVidia on the other hand feed us nothing but their own binaries, so
> > if they give up we're SOL.
>
> I'm looking with fear toward 2.6 kernels. IMHO it's a bit shooting
> yourself in the foot. On the other hand, it's reasonable... dillemma.

:-(

> > I think its OK for ATI to limit drivers they claim are beta to their
> > own hardware anyway.
>
> Beta? Did not know that. Although I did look in the store for a real
> Ati. None what so ever... A shame realy.

Indeed. What card do you have now? (I'd suggest getting that ATI
back...)

the DRI driver might not be the fastest, but it does work quite nicely.

> > As to the IO-APIC stuff, I suggest asking on lkml - what mobo do you
> > have?
>
> Ok, an AMD 2700+ with 512MB PC2700 on a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP with the
> KT400 VIA chip-shit ;-)

other than windles, I have no experience of that chipset (I still have
my slow ancient creaky ASUS A7M266 ;-) (ok, I still love it and its
still very fast :-)

> I know it's a bit of being a hipokrit. On the other hand I dislike the
> drivers from nvidia... SiS is unclear, that leaves Via :-(

theres ALI... although their IDE seems a bit scary.

whats even more scary is just how many bugs the hardware manuf. are
making in something as trivially simple as IDE, which you can implement
in discreete logic, for heavens sake!!!

> Just not sure when the quiet coolers arive for this beast :-)

nice :)

> This board is around for a few months now... I'm yet to try the new
> kernel to if it made it in on time (guess not)

hehe ;)
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org