Got screwed... almost.

R. Bosch remy.bosch at hccnet.nl
Fri Nov 29 17:34:45 PST 2002

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 00:29:43 +0000  Mister Ian just wrote the following:

> ATI at least make available progamming details for their cards, and
> their 'unified' driver WILL work on any radeon with a 2-byte hack to
> twiddle the PCI ID.

I only read about re-flashing the BOIS. How does twiddling work?

> NVidia on the other hand feed us nothing but their own binaries, so if
> they give up we're SOL.

I'm looking with fear toward 2.6 kernels. IMHO it's a bit shooting
yourself in the foot. On the other hand, it's reasonable... dillemma.

> I think its OK for ATI to limit drivers they claim are beta to their
> own hardware anyway.

Beta? Did not know that. Although I did look in the store for a real
Ati. None what so ever... A shame realy.

> Just think of the flak they'd get from their OEMS
> when customers break their card using beta drivers... I wouldnt want
> that shit!

Flaky drivers on hardware with many diversety... I follow. :-}

> I'd be more upset if they tried this trick on production drivers, but
> still, at least they provide specs in any case.

Logical...

> As to the IO-APIC stuff, I suggest asking on lkml - what mobo do you
> have?

Ok, an AMD 2700+ with 512MB PC2700 on a Gigabyte GA-7VAXP with the KT400
VIA chip-shit ;-)

I know it's a bit of being a hipokrit. On the other hand I dislike the
drivers from nvidia... SiS is unclear, that leaves Via :-(

CD-ripping goes fine now btw :-D

Just not sure when the quiet coolers arive for this beast :-)

This board is around for a few months now... I'm yet to try the new
kernel to if it made it in on time (guess not)

--

Remy

Open(source) your mind, and see real freedom!
Close(dsource) your mind and be in a prisson.

Just my ¤0.02
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org