Got screwed... almost.

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Fri Nov 29 16:29:43 PST 2002

On Fri, 29 Nov 2002 23:24:11 +0000 (UTC)
remy.bosch at hccnet.nl ("R. Bosch") wrote:

> And that I would consider an Ati again if the driver politics
> changes. To bad.

Hmm. I dont agree.

ATI at least make available progamming details for their cards, and
their 'unified' driver WILL work on any radeon with a 2-byte hack to
twiddle the PCI ID.

NVidia on the other hand feed us nothing but their own binaries, so if
they give up we're SOL.

I think its OK for ATI to limit drivers they claim are beta to their own
hardware anyway. Just think of the flak they'd get from their OEMS when
customers break their card using beta drivers... I wouldnt want that
shit!

I'd be more upset if they tried this trick on production drivers, but
still, at least they provide specs in any case.

As to the IO-APIC stuff, I suggest asking on lkml - what mobo do you
have?
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org