Incorrect ARP response (network)

Sanjuro sanjuroe at xs4all.nl
Fri Nov 29 02:09:29 PST 2002

Hello,

My system is an LFS 3.0 with 3.1 bootscripts, it has 2 network cards
both Realtek 8139 10/100 MBit with support compiled into the kernel,
with the following settings:

eth0: 10.1.1.2/255.255.255.0
eth1: 10.1.2.1/255.255.255.0

The problem is that when an ARP request is send (ARP is part of a
protocol that links Ethernet and IP, the request is a broadcast asking a
certain IP for its MAC address) the kernel returns two ARP replies, one
with the MAC address of eth0 and one with the MAC of eth1.

It goes like this (Beta is my Linux Box, Delta my Windows 2000 Box):

Delta: ARP request for 10.1.1.2
Beta: 10.1.1.2 is at <<MAC for eth0>>
Beta: 10.1.1.2 is at <<MAC for eth1>>

So both cards are responding to an IP that is attached to only one of
them. This behaviour is the same in kernel 2.4.19 and 2.4.20. This is a
problem because depending on which one arrives first Windows send
network traffic to the wrong network card, which happens to be blocked
using iptables resulting in a loss of connection.

My question: What could I have possible to get the kernel to do this? Is
it possible I compiled a strange options into the kernel? I am not
setting any kernel parameters at run-time or a boot time, so that can't
be it.

I have tried everything else, if no-one can think of something that
might causing this I think I will file a bug report with the Realtek
kernel driver maintainer.

Thanks in advance,

Sanjuro

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org