cd-rom module problems

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Thu Nov 28 16:11:20 PST 2002

On Thu, 2002-11-28 at 14:52, Daniel Brewer wrote:
> I have a feeling it might be that the ide-scsi module is not being
> loaded when a user requests it because the first time I use the cdrom as
> root it says:
> SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
> scsi0: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
>   Vendor: CyberDrv  Model: CW038D CD-R/RW  Rev: 120C
>   Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
> Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
> sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
> Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12
>
> Is there anyway round this or do I have to use the cd-rom in root first?

It helps remarkably if you simply pass information about the drive and
ide-scsi module to the kernel with an append statement in your lilo
image, like:

  append = "hdc=ide-scsi"

In that instance, hdc is my OptoRite drive.  You should replace that
with whatever device yours is, then add the following three lines to
/etc/modules.conf:

alias scd0 srmod
alias scsi_hostadapter ide-scsi
options ide-cd ignore=hdc

...and that's pretty much all you need to do (well, aside from running
modprobe).

Note: You _may_ have problems occur if you attempt to play audio CDs in
the drive while using the ide-scsi module.  Hopefully this is something
that'll get straightened out completely in the next kernel revision or
two.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org