kernel modules

Declan Moriarty tech.genius at ntlworld.ie
Thu Nov 28 02:45:11 PST 2002

> shouldn't be a chapter in the book explaining how to load the kernel
> modules?
>
> what's supposed to be inside etc/modules.conf?

Everything the kernel needs to know. Man modules.conf

> i cant load the graphic card modules (using modprobe) it outputs this:
>
> 	/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o: init_module: Cannot
> 	allocate memory
> 	/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o: insmod
> 	/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o failed
> 	/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/char/drm/i810.o: insmod i810 failed
> 	Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters,
> including invalid IO or IRQ parameters

As one who suffered here in times past, may I suggest this
depmod -a
grep 1818.o  /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/modules.dep

Stick in your kernel version as appropiate
That will give you the dependencies of each module. Just briefly ignore the
text of those errors. The kernel found the module and barfed on it. Make sure
you get the modules packed in the right order. Don't use modprobe, as that
asks the kernel to use information you haven't given it yet ;-)

You will get a line like the following (I'm checking ne2k-pci.o)
root:~#grep ne2k-pci /lib/modules/2.4.18/modules.dep
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o:     \
/lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/8390.o
To get these swallowed successfully by the kernel, I would type
insmod 8390
insmod ne2k-pci
This goes into modules.conf as
alias eth0 ne2k-pci

Once you have that, you can type
modprobe ne2k-pci
and 8390.o will be automagically preloaded

> isnt any programas to setup hardware easier like Yast, in suse
> distribution? --

Sure. You left all that behind when you came here, because you'll never learn
with yast. This way, you'll suffer first time and learn how yourself. Then
you'll know, and you won't need yast or the likes.

--
Regards,

Declan Moriarty.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org