Cross-compiling for a 486.

Richard A Downing richard.downing at bcs.org.uk
Wed Nov 27 11:21:33 PST 2002

> richard.downing at bcs.org.uk (Richard A Downing) writes:
> > I have just built LFS (CVS with glibc2.3.1) for my 486 using my PIII.
> > Using the uname hack as documented in the hint went fine, and it works
> > well.
> >
> > Now I need to build some BLFS for it.  I built samba on it last night -
> > ALL last night!!
> >
> > I had the idea that I might mount the 486's root partition under a chroot
> > environment on the PIII, and thus be able to compile there.   Has anyone
> > done this?  What have I missed?  Can I use an smbfs, or do I need nfs?
> > (never done that before)
>
> That's one method, compiling over NFS can be alright, depending on
> kernel version, mount options, etc.  I have had some success by
> ./configuring and make'ing on the big machine, then tarring up the
> source tree and scp'ing it to the little machine.  I just untar it
> there and 'make install'.  Both boxes need to have the same date and
> time for that to work.
>
> If you want to try the NFS method, check out the NFS hint.  There's a
> pointer at the bottom to the LFS HOWTO.
>
> Billy

Thanks for that. Now you see why I was distrusting the grey-cells today.  The
build-tar-copy-install method is just what I need.  With git it's almost a
package management system!

I am already about 95% of the way through setting up NFS via the hint and
How-To.  But it's always good to know that some LFS-er has gone before...

--
Cheers, Richard.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org