wvdial problems

Declan Moriarty declan.moriarty at ntlworld.ie
Wed Nov 27 03:02:02 PST 2002

On Tuesday 26 November 2002 12:10, you wrote:
> I have been getting error code 16 (modem hangup) every time I run wvdial.
> I have found putting my username and password in pap-secrets means I'm now
> able to connect.  wvdials man page says it's supposed to handle this.
> permisions on pap-secrets are fine, anyone know what the problem could be?
> Wvdial also seems to have trouble connecting as it is having to have a few
> attempts at responding to lonin/password prompts.

There are a couple of alternative 56k protocols and standards. I think it's
standard practise for a 56k modem to have a longer discussion with a peer
than slower ones.

> Anyway, It's working. My next question is, to be able to do dns lookups do
> I need to install bind or something.
>
> I think I need to look at a ppp Howto or something. Wvdial problems are
> really all that's bothering me. I like things to work nicely.

Yes, look at the ppp howto. The guy has a peculiar form of teaching. You end
up wading through miles of crap as he talks about everything EXCEPT ppp, so
when you finally get to nuggets of information, you light on them and never
forget them. This is because you never wantr to read so much crap together
again.

pppd is one of the more complicated linux programs, with the ability to
dissappear up it's own backside and leave you wondering what happened ;-).
There's a pppd list
Try a message with the body just saying
lists

to majordomo at vger.kernel.org