Badblocks in reiserfs

Martin Kavec martin.kavec at uku.fi
Tue Nov 26 23:46:36 PST 2002

On Wednesday 27 November 2002 00:36, Eric Dillenseger wrote:
> While talking about hard drives, I don't know if I'm really unlucky or
> what, but I've bought an IBM 40Go IDE 3 months ago and after a week it
> crashed badly while doing a 'hdparm -T /dev/hda' (I didn't change
> anything in it's config). Whole system freezed. I returned it and
> decided to put it in a windows box with the same mobo chipset. Died too.
> The last I had is still working but from times to times, it
> makes this noise too(kind of growing acute noise) so I let windows on it
> (no sensible data).
> Did anyone experienced this with IBM IDE drives?

I have an IBM 40G for about 10 months with reiserfs. The recent discusion made
me to check for bad blocks and surprise, I found on three partitions 3 bad
blocks (badblocks -sv /dev/hdaX) on each. I run LFS3.1 and system runs
smoothly. The only problem I experience from time to time is total freeze
when I watch a TV (ATI card don't remember a model, but it's a separate card)
and the same use to happen under XP (my wife is still M$ dependent :)). Other
than that no noise, no clicks, no scratching.
So that's my experience.

Martin
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org