Cable modem?

The Cheeze Cheeziologist at attbi.com
Tue Nov 26 18:44:31 PST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, Richard Pinnell wrote:

>> Well I'm no expert on it all I can tell you is that
>> when I first got the thing, there was no Internet so I
>> had to phone my ISP and they asked me for the MAC
>> address of the CABLE MODEM this is either printed on
>> the back or you can also get it by entering
>> 192.168.100.1 in your web browser.  this is of course
>> provided you are using a motorola sb4100 or similiar
>> and have set up you dhcp client if this is the case
>> 192.168.100.1 will bring up the modem configuration
>
> Well, it's a Pace set-top box, and I get allocated a private address
>starting with a '10.', so I'm not surprised that my mileage varies!

Well, I can't speak for what your provider does, but when I set up a
cable modem on my machine, my ISP (AT&T) required me to phone in and
tell them the MAC address of my cable modem and the MAC address of the
NIC card it was attached to. However my cable modem is in bridging mode,
i.e. it doesn't retain the ip address and route out dummy addresses
(like yours seems to if you are getting a 10. address) but instead lets
my NIC card retain the "real" ip address.

After informing them of both MAC addresses all I had to do was run a
dhcp client and I was all set.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org