Badblocks in reiserfs

Eric Dillenseger eric at naxalite.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 26 14:36:11 PST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:37:51 +0000, Adrian Smarzewski wrote
> On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 12:57:16 -0300
> Esteban de Echevarría <kamael at ciudad.com.ar> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 15:26:21 +0000
> > Adrian Smarzewski <adrians at aska.com.pl> wrote:
> >
> > > Don't use it any more. Put it in your trashcan now!
> > > or prepare your data for the Big-Bang ;)
> > > Reiserfs doesn't have badblock support, becouse harddisks
> > > made in new technology are not expected to have it :)
> >
> > i don't think so... this hd is part of that 'new technology' (western
> > digital, 40gb) and it does have badblocks...however, these bad sectors
> > are from a year ago... and the disk is still running ok...the bad
> > sectors were made on windoze xp, there's a problem between acpi/apm and
> > the hd that sometimes make it shut it down when it doesn't have to do
> > that (never happened in linux), and that made bad sectors...
>
> Try low-level format if you can (with bad-block detection).
> Maybe there are only "virtual" bad blocks and there will
> disappear :) Or you can make two partitions - one below the
> bad blocks and second after them.
>

> > and 8 bad blocks with 4096b size each (32kb total) doesn't seem to be a
> > good reason to throw away this disk (apart from the fact that is the
> > only big disk i've)
>
> You can use it but don't keep important data on it!

While talking about hard drives, I don't know if I'm really unlucky or
what, but I've bought an IBM 40Go IDE 3 months ago and after a week it
crashed badly while doing a 'hdparm -T /dev/hda' (I didn't change
anything in it's config). Whole system freezed. I returned it and
decided to put it in a windows box with the same mobo chipset. Died too.
The last I had is still working but from times to times, it
makes this noise too(kind of growing acute noise) so I let windows on it
(no sensible data).
Did anyone experienced this with IBM IDE drives?

--
[ -f /home/usr/bed ] mv /usr/desk /home/usr/bed && sleep
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org