openssh install requests sshd as a user.

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Tue Nov 26 13:44:43 PST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 21:32:48 -0000 "Laurence Turpin"
<laurie.turpin at virgin.net> wrote:

> I am trying to install openssh-3.5pl.tar.gz
> I get an error when I do
>
> make install
>
> which is as follows:
>
> /usr/sbin/sshd -t -f /etc/ssh/sshd_config
> Priviliege separation user sshd does not exist
> make:[check-config] Error 255 (ignored)

OpenSSH needs an unprivileged user account. I use the user nobody for this
and pass --with-privsep-user=nobody  to OpenSSH. In any case you'll need
to create this user account with useradd. Do not give it a password, give
it /bin/false as shell and lock the account. The user should belong to
nogroup, i.e. a special group that does not own any files and to which no
other users belong. By convention nobody has uid 65534 and nogroup should
have gid 65534. IIRC these are also the values that NFS expects for the
root-squash and all-squash options.

MSB

--
I am Pentium of Borg. Precision is futile.
Prepare to be approximated!

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org