Badblocks in reiserfs

Didier Richard didierj.richard at wanadoo.fr
Tue Nov 26 13:24:56 PST 2002

>>Don't use it any more. Put it in your trashcan now!
>>or prepare your data for the Big-Bang ;)
>>Reiserfs doesn't have badblock support, becouse harddisks
>>made in new technology are not expected to have it :)
>

> i don't think so... this hd is part of that 'new technology' (western
> digital, 40gb) and it does have badblocks...however, these bad sectors
> are from a year ago... and the disk is still running ok...the bad
> sectors were made on windoze xp, there's a problem between acpi/apm and
> the hd that sometimes make it shut it down when it doesn't have to do
> that (never happened in linux), and that made bad sectors...
>
> and 8 bad blocks with 4096b size each (32kb total) doesn't seem to be a
> good reason to throw away this disk (apart from the fact that is the
> only big disk i've)

I have a 30Gb with bad sectors from IBM and it runs OK ... except that
the bad-block location appears to grow.
I had luck enough to put a huge file (an ISO image) at the 'right'
place. I noticed this because when running a
'md5sum' on this file, the disk made strange noise and the system did
not respond for minutes....
The only thing that made me less nervous is that I have marked this file
and I hope it covers all the bad sectors.

Just to give me time to save money ... and buy a new disk.
I've seen it before, 'bad sectors' tend to grow, so the disk gets 'to
use with caution for no sensitive data'.

Cheers

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org