Beep

Eric Dillenseger eric at naxalite.homelinux.org
Tue Nov 26 11:37:22 PST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002 18:45:32 +0000 (UTC), Christophe Devine wrote
> In article <3DE00773.8000009 at linux-sevenler.de>, Arman Aksoy wrote:
>
> > Hi again,
>
> Hi Arman,
>
> > How can we disable the 'beep' sound of the system?
>
> There are many ways:
>
>  - if you use bash, add "set bell-style none" to ~/.inputrc or
> $INPUTRC - if you use tcsh, add "set nobeep" to ~/.cshrc or /etc/csh.cshrc
>  - to prevent less from beeping: export LESS=-Q or setenv LESS
> -Q - to prevent  vim from beeping: add "set visuallbell" to /etc/vimrc
>  - inside a console, you can run 'echo "\033[10;10]\033[11;0]"'
>  - inside X11, run "xset b off" (add this to your .xsession or
> .xinitrc)
>
> ...but physically disabling the speaker is probably the
> simplest solution ;-)

Maybe, but if it's not plugged you may miss some alarm beeps like with those temperature monitor that beep when the CPU is overheating, or those times when you have no display at boot if there's a problem most bios use beep codes to identify problems. Of course it may be as easy to plug it again as unplugging it, but in case of CPU overheating I prefer beeps to smoke.
Software based solutions seem better.

--
[ -f /home/usr/bed ] mv /usr/desk /home/usr/bed && sleep
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org