UPS and Linux

Matthias Benkmann matthias at winterdrache.de
Mon Nov 25 09:00:52 PST 2002

On Mon, 25 Nov 2002 13:51:01 +0100 "Ripalda-Marin, Miguel-Angel"
<maripalda at elasa.siemens.es> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> has anyone installed successfully an UPS for a LFS system? Which models
> are available in the market that work properly under Linux? Is there any
> thing to change at OS level?

After plugging the thing into your computer (I'm talking about a data line
such as a serial or USB connection here, *not* the power line) you'll need
to add a boot script that launches an appropriate powerd daemon. powerd
notifies init in the case power fails/is restored. You'll need to add
inittab entries to specify what init should do in this case (usually run
shutdown with a few minutes countdown and a wall message for all users if
power fails and a command to abort the countdown if power is restored).
See man inittab for details.

>  Which models
> are available in the market that work properly under Linux?

Go to Freshmeat and search for "powerd" and download the available
daemons. They should include a list of supported UPSs. If not you can ask
the package maintainers. You can also try looking on the websites of UPS
manufacturers.

MSB

p.s.: DISCLAIMER: I've never seen a UPS except on photos (Germany has very
reliable power, so I don't need one). The above is just what I've pieced
together from stuff I've read.

--
He who SHOUTS is always wrong.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org