Having machine do something after phone call

Miguel Bazdresch miguel at thewizardstower.org
Sun Nov 24 13:31:12 PST 2002

There was a thread a while back about how to have the machine perform an
action depending on activity on the phone line. I don't remember if a
solution was found, and since the archives are hard to reach, I decided
to forward the following, which is part of a webpage I found at:

http://home.online.no/~Erut-aane/linux.html

Apologies if this is redundant.

You may want to tell your machine to go online or do other stuff while
you're not at home. You can use some tools to achieve this - and "program"
the machine to respond by simply dialing the machine in certain preset
sequences. These hints were posted in comp.os.linux.misc:

Q:
Is it possible to have my modem detect an incoming call, hang up on that
call and immediately run pppon? I'd like to connect to my home machine from
office, and I don't have a modem there.

From: Peter Caffin <peter at ptcc.it.net.au>
I believe that mgetty is capable of doing this. Have a look at the Mgetty
Homepage at http://www.leo.org/~doering/mgetty/index.html and the Usenet
newsgroup de.alt.comm.mgetty.

From: Robert Clare <Robert.Clare at cern.ch>
Dont know about ringconnectd, but xringd is capable of pretty complex
"sequence detection" - like 3 rings, then 30-60 seconds silence, then 1
ring, then at least 30 seconds silence, etc.
I have used this in the past to make the computer do different things (one
sequence would grab the From: and Subject: of all my new emails and send it
to my pager, another would connect to my ISP, etc.)

Miguel Bazdresch
http://thewizardstower.org/
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org