Cable modem?

Richard Pinnell pinr at rocketmail.com
Sun Nov 24 07:38:14 PST 2002

> (snippage - naughty top poster!)
> >  Thanks for the pointer. The current (June 2001)
> version does actually
> > include NTL here, but it skips over the hard part
> - you have to get the
> > network card registered. Current consensus is that
> you really need to
> > use windoze to do this. About to try this, if I
> can look myself in the
> > eye, and find a windows CD and spare disk (built
> LFS-3.3 for my
> > firewall/router, a massive 2Gb disk, no space for
> windoze as well as
> > LFS.
>
> Yech.  My condolences.  It's a shame they're too
> cheap to hire phone
> monkeys capable of manually entering a MAC address
> into their system for
> you.
I've been following this thread and I'm lost as to why
your cable modem won't work with Linux.  I'm not using
NTL as I'm in Mexico but I am using a Motorola
surfboard sb4100 cable modem. Setting it up was easy I
just installed the dhcp server as per the BLfS book.
I did not have to register my network card mac address
only the mac address on the surfboard itself but you
have to do that whatever OS you are using.  Have I
missed something?