Another XFree86 compile/install error

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 23 23:30:16 PST 2002

On Sat, 2002-11-16 at 10:35, Tushar T wrote:
> James Drabb wrote:
>
> >One other thing, I think if you cd back to the top level xc directory
> >and do a make World, the it will start over.  Does someone on the list
> >know the make invocation to not have X start from the beginning?
> >

> A simple make should probably work (the keyword is should:).

"Should" but probably "won't".  XFree86's build system is truly abysmal.

I suspect the guy would have less trouble with libpng if he were to use
4.2.1 instead of the CVS version of XFree86.  If he's _not_ trying to
use the CVS source and that error message really means that gcc has
somehow gotten tangled up with libpng.so (which is what it looked like
to me at first glance) then pardon me while I gibber with fear and run
away.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org