GDM Hang ?

Dagmar d'Surreal dagmar at speakeasy.net
Sat Nov 23 23:04:39 PST 2002

On Tue, 2002-11-12 at 04:34, Andy Campbell wrote:

> ctrl+alt_backspace works fine with in the Gnome sessoion and
> restarts X
>
> However from the hung X display after log out nothing happens

I still think you're describing the screwey behaviour of the afflicted
versions of GDM rather perfectly.  2.4.0.12 is out now, BTW.

> >> If I login via another box X is using 99% of the CPU.

This is also one of those symptoms.

> I've just set "AlwaysRestartServer=true" in gdm.conf, default is false.
>
> This sort of solves the problem, as it now restarts X when I log out and
> brings up the log in prompt.
>
> However it is still a pain as my Matrox drivers take a couple of mins to
> scan my hardware before X will start ( Seems to a know "feature" of the
> Matrox driver )
>
> Should I be able to get back the GDM log in screen without restarting X ?

Yes, you should.  That feature is there for the reason mentioned in the
default config.  If your apps are hemmorhaging memory on a regular
basis, it can be somewhat useful to have X completely restarted by GDM
each time a user logs out to (hopefully) free that memory back up.

I'm sorry I didn't follow up on this before, but seriously... get the
latest version of GDM (2.4.0.11) and try again, or in your reply please
mention what version you're currently attempting to use.

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org