root mounted twice since devfs upgrade

Eric Dillenseger eric at naxalite.homelinux.org
Sat Nov 23 09:15:18 PST 2002

Hi,
I've just upgraded to 2.4.19 kernel and decided to switch to devfs.
While booting I had an error saying that proc couldn't be mounted cause
it was already. I just removed the rcsysinit.d/S20mountproc and it
rebooted correctly.
But I've noticed that if I do df -ah rootfs shows twice:

#:> df -ah
rootfs                1.4G   70M  1.3G   5% /
/dev/root             1.4G   70M  1.3G   5% /
none                     0     0     0   -  /dev
none                     0     0     0   -  /proc
/dev/sda6             630M   35M  594M   6% /var
/dev/sda3             3.7G  619M  3.1G  17% /usr
/dev/sda5             2.3G  1.3G  1.0G  55% /home

a cat /proc/mounts give me this:

#:> cat /proc/mounts
rootfs / rootfs rw 0 0
/dev/root / reiserfs ro 0 0
none /dev devfs rw 0 0
none /proc proc rw 0 0
/dev/sda6 /var reiserfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda3 /usr reiserfs rw 0 0
/dev/sda5 /home reiserfs rw 0 0

I think it comes from devfs but I don't know how to solve this.
Using dmesg I've noticed that my root partition is checked before devfs
is loaded:

reiserfs: checking transaction log (device 08:01) ...
Using r5 hash to sort names
ReiserFS version 3.6.25
VFS: Mounted root (reiserfs filesystem).
Mounted devfs on /dev
Freeing unused kernel memory: 220k freed
Adding Swap: 499704k swap-space (priority 1)

So I think that my root partition is mounted once by devfs and another
time by something I can't identify.
Somebody may help me?
btw: I'm using lfs-3.3 with a 2.4.18 patched to 2.4.19 kernel and
i2c/lm_sensors patch.
/etc/fstab:
# filesystem mount-point fs-type  options                dump fsck-order
#/dev/sda1   /           reiserfs defaults                0       0
/dev/sda2    swap        swap     pri=1                   0       0
proc         /proc       proc     defaults                0       0
/dev/fd0     /floppy     auto     defaults,user,noauto    0       0
/dev/sda6    /var        reiserfs defaults                0       0
/dev/hdc     /cdrom      iso9660  defaults,ro,noauto,user 0       0
/dev/sda3    /usr        reiserfs defaults                0       0
/dev/sda5    /home       reiserfs defaults                0       0

There are lot of links related to devfs mounted twice or rootfs mounted
twice because of ramdisk or such things, but I didn't find the
corresponding on google. There was a thread about this in 2002-04
archive but it didn't help me as the guy switched back to 2.4.18
without saying if he kept devfs so I'm a bit confused.

--
[ -f /home/usr/bed ] mv /usr/desk /home/usr/bed && sleep
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org