cannot get wvdial to stay connected.

Laurence Turpin laurie.turpin at virgin.net
Sat Nov 23 06:41:37 PST 2002

Hi

I have installed wvstreams and wvdial as stated in the blfs-book.
I can connect ok.
The problem is I get connected and then immediately I get disconnected
The error given is

The pppd has died.
Exit code 16 The link was terminated by the modem hanging up.

The /var/log/sys.log file has the following

pppd.2.4.1 started by root, uid 0
using interface ppp0
Connect: ppp0<--> /dev/ttyS1
Hangup (SIGHUP)
modem hangup

I am using:

pppd-2.4.1
wvdial-1.53
wvstreams-3.70

The modem is an external 3com US Robotics 56k faxmodem
I can get the same modem to work with wvdial on another machine I have
which is running mankrake 8.2 so I know the modem works ok and works with
Linux

Has anyone any ideas as to what the problem could be

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org