gtk+-2.0.8 Won't Configure

Wayne E. Harlan drharlan at pacbell.net
Fri Nov 22 20:34:48 PST 2002

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 22:00:38 -0600 Larry <larry at linuxfromscratch.org> wrote in

> On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 06:30:46PM -0800, drharlan at pacbell.net wrote:
> > This is a few days old, but I just want to report that I did get
> > gtk+-2.0.8 to finally configure.  Due to the 'unusual' paths of my
> > libs, I needed to set LDFLAGS="-I/usr/X11R6/lib -lfreetype" and that
> > did it.  Apparently ld couldn't find the freetype2 libraries even
> > though I had run ldconfig earlier.  The first thing I compiled against
> > gtk+-2.0.8 was gftp which went smoothly and I've already downloaded a
> > number of new packages using my blfs system with it.
> >
> > By the way, I did some grepping in the binutils source, specifcally ld,
> > and I find that "lib_search_path" (if that's the correct one) is only
> > set to search /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, but no mention of
> > /usr/X11R6/lib.  Is there a good reason why X11R6 isn't included ?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Wayne E. Harlan        drharlan at pacbell.net        510-797-4298
> >

> I can't tell for sure but you may have missed this:
>
> Configuring XFree86
> Edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add /usr/X11R6/lib. Run
> ldconfig
>
> A couple of other things I see.  Be sure that you don't end up with two
> freetype2 installs, BLFS now recommends installing freetype2 in /usr/lib
> and disabling the freetype2 build in XFree86.  Also, if you are using the
> freetype from XFree86, you need to upgrade to the version in BLFS.  You
> can do that to the /usr/X11R6/lib, if you like.
>
> Larry

You may have missed the original post on 11/18.  I know what BLFS
recommends.  I'm just doing it differently as I explained then, and I
stil believe that it's the right thing for me.  I have freetype2 and all X
related packages under /usr/X11R6.  This was an explanation of the extra
work I needed to get things to work (and they are working).  Thanks for the
response, however.

Wayne

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org