gtk+-2.0.8 Won't Configure

Larry larry at linuxfromscratch.org
Fri Nov 22 20:00:38 PST 2002

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 06:30:46PM -0800, drharlan at pacbell.net wrote:
> This is a few days old, but I just want to report that I did get
> gtk+-2.0.8 to finally configure.  Due to the 'unusual' paths of my
> libs, I needed to set LDFLAGS="-I/usr/X11R6/lib -lfreetype" and that
> did it.  Apparently ld couldn't find the freetype2 libraries even
> though I had run ldconfig earlier.  The first thing I compiled against
> gtk+-2.0.8 was gftp which went smoothly and I've already downloaded a
> number of new packages using my blfs system with it.
>
> By the way, I did some grepping in the binutils source, specifcally ld,
> and I find that "lib_search_path" (if that's the correct one) is only
> set to search /lib, /usr/lib, /usr/local/lib, but no mention of
> /usr/X11R6/lib.  Is there a good reason why X11R6 isn't included ?
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Regards,
>
> Wayne E. Harlan        drharlan at pacbell.net        510-797-4298

I can't tell for sure but you may have missed this:

Configuring XFree86
Edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add /usr/X11R6/lib. Run
ldconfig

A couple of other things I see.  Be sure that you don't end up with two
freetype2 installs, BLFS now recommends installing freetype2 in /usr/lib
and disabling the freetype2 build in XFree86.  Also, if you are using the
freetype from XFree86, you need to upgrade to the version in BLFS.  You
can do that to the /usr/X11R6/lib, if you like.

Larry
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org