cd-rom and permissions

Daniel Brewer d.brewer at ucl.ac.uk
Fri Nov 22 13:59:53 PST 2002

Confusion reigns!
This is based on LFS 3.3.
I have set up my ide cdrom to act as a SCSI one so that I can do CD
recording (following the BLFS instructions).  It works fine as root and
also as a user after I have been done something with cdrom in root
before it.  But if, straight after a boot, I try it it fails e.g.

mount /mnt/cdrom ->
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Uniform CD-ROM driver unloaded
mount: /dev/cdrom is not a valid block device

cdplay ->
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
Uniform CD-ROM driver unloaded

My cd-rom has the following permissions:
lrwxrwxrwx	1 root root 9 Nov 16 10:54 /dev/cdrom -> /dev/scd0
brw-rw-rw-	1 root disk 11,0 Jun 15 16:35 /dev/scd0

My fstab looks like this:
/dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 ro,user,noauto 0 0

And /etc/modules.conf:
alias scd0 sr_mod
pre-install sg modprobe ide-scsi
pre-install sr_mod modprobe ide-scsi

I have a feeling it might be that the ide-scsi module is not being
loaded when a user requests it because the first time I use the cdrom as
root it says:
SCSI subsystem driver Revision: 1.00
scsi0: SCSI host adapter emulation for IDE ATAPI devices
  Vendor: CyberDrv  Model: CW038D CD-R/RW  Rev: 120C
  Type:   CD-ROM                           ANSI SCSI revision: 02
Attached scsi CD-ROM sr0 at scsi0, channel 0, id 0, lun 0
sr0: scsi3-mmc drive: 24x/40x writer cd/rw xa/form2 cdda tray
Uniform CD-ROM driver Revision: 3.12

Is there anyway round this or do I have to use the cd-rom in root first?

Thanks

Daniel Brewer

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org