Copying (B)LFS to another PC

Jim Murphy friartek at stargate.chicago.il.us
Fri Nov 22 13:34:27 PST 2002

On Fri, Nov 22, 2002 at 05:43:25PM +0000, Jolo wrote:
> Hey, one question about that:
> May I copy my lfs to another disk, n if it's possible; how??
>
> cp -ax / /mnt/disk ?

Assuming you only have the one partition on each drive I would believe
so, but have never tried it that way.  Something like the following
would work.

( cd / ; tar clf - . ) | ( cd /mnt/disk ; tar xfp - )

> If the other disk is smaller than the lfs', how can I do that?

As long as all the data fits, it shouldn't be a problem.

There are other things to consider, like swap space and the boot
block.  Also files like lilo.conf and fstab will most likely have to
be altered on the new disk.

It's not just about copying the files from one to the other.  You will
need to do more then that.  Copying the data is most likely the easy
part of all this.

Jim

--
Jim Murphy