using remote tape drives

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Fri Nov 22 10:56:39 PST 2002

On Fri, 22 Nov 2002 18:41:35 +0000
Chris Lingard <chris at stockwith.co.uk> wrote:

> ssh  remote-machine  script  >  /dev/your_tape

I used to do this to suck MP3s to my workplace... in realtime :-)

I tried http from home but it was too slow - the mp3s needed about
12K/sec and (at the time) I had about 10K/sec upstream.

so I ran this (paraphrased) little script

ssh <disable encryption> <me at home> 'mpg123 /home/ian/mp3collection/*.mp3
| lame -abr <options to get an abr mp3 at about 96-128Kbit/sec> - -' |
| mpg123

which would connect securely to home, decompress my mp3s there,
re-encode them at a lower bitrate, suitable for transmission to work,
pipe them over the ssh link, and then re-decode them at work.

I *never* heard a skip in about 6 months of using it.

the home machine was my K6-III 400. it used about 40% CPU to do that.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org