What user?

Bryan Breen Bryan.C.Breen.1 at gsfc.nasa.gov
Fri Nov 22 14:56:05 PST 2002

At 20:39 11/21/02 -0500, you wrote:
>In general, do I run installations in the BLFS book as root?
>
>This was my presumption. Please correct me if this is not
>correct.

You can install everything as root, but there's a whole flamewar over the
rationale and security of doing such. But there's nothing to stop you from
doing it and having a functional systems.

Alternatively, there is a hints document that covers this topic:

http://hints.us.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/more_control_and_pkg_man.txt

Excerpt:

TITLE:		More control and package management using package users (v0.8)
LFS VERSION:	3.1 (should work with later versions with minor changes)
AUTHOR:		Matthias S. Benkmann <m.s.b at gmx.net>

SYNOPSIS:
	-You want to know which packages your files belong to ?
	-You want to deinstall software that doesn't have make uninstall ?
	-You are bothered by programs installed setuid root behind your back ?
	-You don't want packages to overwrite files from other packages ?
	-You don't like package managers like RPM ?
	-YOU WANT TOTAL CONTROL USING ONLY UNIX BUILTINS ?

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org