using remote tape drives

Carsten Gehrke carsten at rollinghorse.com
Thu Nov 21 21:13:53 PST 2002

At 20:31 21-11-02, you wrote:

> > Does anyone have experience using remote tape drives?  I'm
> > trying to use a DLT drive on one system to back up another.
><snip>
> > [...] Is there another, perhaps more secure way, of doing this?
>
>Check out "S Tar", a GNU tar replacment.
>http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/priv
>ate/star.html

I've downloaded the 1.4.1 version, and I'll check it out.  You wouldn't
happen to know if there's a PGP signature for this package, or a signed MD5
fingerprint?  Maybe even an MD5 fingerprint that was sent out in an
announcement (I couldn't find one in the mailing list archives)?

>It includes a program called `rmt' that I think does exactly what you'r
>looking for.  It's not encrypted, though I immagine you could probably
>rig it with stunnel somehow.  At any rate, it's not a generic rlogin
>type of thing, only does tape related stuff so it lessens the chance of
>evil wrongdoings.
>
>Also, if asked to trust a programmers code, I enthusiastically would do
>so of Jörg Schilling's work.
>
>Cheers and good luck,
>
>~Jason

Thanks for the info!

--
Carsten Gehrke     LFS No.: 190    using Linux since kernel 0.98
carsten at gehrke.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org