using remote tape drives

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Thu Nov 21 20:31:32 PST 2002

> Does anyone have experience using remote tape drives?  I'm
> trying to use a DLT drive on one system to back up another.
<snip>
> [...] Is there another, perhaps more secure way, of doing this?

Check out "S Tar", a GNU tar replacment.
http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/priv
ate/star.html

It includes a program called `rmt' that I think does exactly what you'r
looking for.  It's not encrypted, though I immagine you could probably
rig it with stunnel somehow.  At any rate, it's not a generic rlogin
type of thing, only does tape related stuff so it lessens the chance of
evil wrongdoings.

Also, if asked to trust a programmers code, I enthusiastically would do
so of Jörg Schilling's work.

Cheers and good luck,

~Jason

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org