The shame of it! (an Email query)

Richard A Downing richard.downing at bcs.org.uk
Thu Nov 21 08:54:46 PST 2002

> Who has XMail going?

I do, which is why I wrote the hint.

> Is there any way to find out what xmail is thinking?

You can ask it things with telnet, or it's own CtrlClnt application, it's a
bit tortured, but it does work.  These interfaces are documented in
readme.txt.  EG:  I have this in my profile:

alias frozlist='CtrlClnt -u root -p ciao -s 109bean.org.uk frozlist'
 which lets me see a list of all frozen (undeliverable) mail by typing
'frozlist'.

> Am I correct in
> thinking that it should collect mail from my isp and dump it in
> /var/MailRoot/domains/myhome.net/mailuser/mailbox?

If you have set up the poplnkadd properly it will.  Try issuing:

CtrlClnt  -u root -p ciao -s 109bean.org.uk poplnklist
(BUT PLEASE DON'T POST THE REPLY HERE as it will have your ISP passwords in
clear)

> Xmail will collect mail
> How do I get mutt or
> anything else to fetch that.?

I don't know about mutt (too texty for me), but I set up kmail to do a pop3 on
localhost:110.  Since xmail provides pop3, that's what I use.

> the hint says
> Assuming your ISP presents a simple unencrypted (old-fashioned) POP3
> service, you need to know your login name (you-at-isp) and password
> (your-isp-pop-password)and the address of the POP3 server.
>
> 	/usr/bin/CtrlClnt -s 109bean.org.uk -u root -p ciao \
> 	poplnkadd 109bean.org.uk richard \
> 	pop3.isp.com you-at-isp your-isp-pop-password CLR
>
> This will set up an automatic synchonisation between XMail and your pop3
> account
>
> But when I try the equivelant of that I get error 40 - and it trips over
> the -s option (chateau.dec in this case) which is the server listed in
> server.tab, and a subdir of  MailRoot/domains/

We need to ensure you've got the domain set up right. What does:
CtrlClnt -u root -p ciao -s hostname domainlist
return.  The parameter to -s is your hostname.

> The hint also says:
> You will see the various XMail threads start up, and if all looks stable
> you have a working XMail.  If you can start another terminal session, a
> second xterm
> or login on another tty, then you can command XMail (see next session) and
> watch
> the debugging output.  When you are happy, hit Ctrl-C and abort the run,
> watching XMail shut down it's threads gracefully.
>
> I can't get any debugging output :-o. /var/MailRoot/XMail --debug just
> exits.

Dunno about this yet, can you send me your server.tab?  Doctor anything
sensitive.

> I'm willing to believe the fault is mine, but I would like to be able to
> fix it..

I'll help as much as I can.  In the end if we can't fix it Davide Libenzi can
be reached via the xmail list - he's usually very helpful as long the answer
isn't RTFM (Read The Friendly Manual) :-)

--
Cheers, Richard.
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org