Fool's guide to FIND

Jason Gurtz jason at tommyk.com
Thu Nov 21 09:04:15 PST 2002

> I have a very simple task: I want to recursively find files
> by name (e.g.) *.pdf

Stuff like this is a snap; recurisve searching is default.

syntax is find <dirToStartIn> -<whatType> <searchString>

so to find somthing *named* *.pdf searching the whole machine you do

find / -name "*.pdf"

Note the quotes around your string arn't always neccecary, but they will
keep you out of trouble!

For real fun, try thinking of ways to recursivly search for files
without using find.  hint, try using combinations of du, awk, and grep.

Cheers,

~Jason

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org