Fool's guide to FIND

Carsten Gehrke carsten at rollinghorse.com
Thu Nov 21 08:58:04 PST 2002

At 13:49 21-11-02, you wrote:
>Can anyone point me to such a thing? With examples?  Don't reply 'man find'
>until you read to the bottom of it!

OK.  man find

>I have a very simple task: I want to recursively find files by name (e.g.)
>*.pdf, and I am quite happy to log to the appropiatre directory to search
>down.  In most cases I know the extension, but not the name. Does anyone ever
>do a simple task like that in linux? Does it take a line the length of a sed
>construction?

how about

find . -name '*.pdf'

or

find /home/yourname -name '*.pdf'

if /home/yourname is not pwd

BTW, I did look it up in man pages, and I did read them to the end :-)  And
I did find the apostrophes in an example (yes, the man page has such a thing).

Hope this helps.

--
Carsten Gehrke     LFS No.: 190    using Linux since kernel 0.98
carsten at gehrke.org

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org