pb compiling xfree 4.2.1 with bison 1.75

drharlan at pacbell.net drharlan at pacbell.net
Wed Nov 20 06:42:05 PST 2002

On 20 Nov, Billy O'Connor wrote:
> Forwarded from lfs-dev:
>
>   Hi,
>
>   i tried to compile Xfree86 4.2.1 on my new lfs and it fails with bison
>   1.75.
>   I put 1.35 from lfs 4.0 and no more problems.
>
>   Is there a hack for that or anything else ?
>
>   thanks
>
> You can downgrade bison, or patch the grammar files in xc/.
> Try this:
> http://linuxfromscratch.org/~billyoc/bison2.patch
>
> Billy
> --

In my case, the patch helped get through the first three errors with
the 1.75, but then it still failed farther down the line.  Backing off
to 1.35 made it as smooth as silk.

One clue to me was the bison web page on gnu.org.  The last time I
looked, it still showed 1.35 as the current version.  It made me think
maybe the 1.50 and 1.75 versions were just development. On the other
hand, with gcc trying to improve its features, it may be a case where
the support tools haven't caught up to the same level yet.

Wayne

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org