X windows hostname

Ulrich Fahrenberg uli at math.auc.dk
Wed Nov 20 06:18:12 PST 2002

On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Richard Pinnell wrote:

> When ever I start x windows on a LFS 4 based sytem it
> comes up with:
> hostname
> then after a delay of about 10 secs says:
> unknown host.
> later when kde is starting it says:
> Can't get hostname your system is serverly
> misconfigured
> if I type:
> hostname at the command prompt it returns
> Dark_Moon (my host name)

The startx script calls `hostname -f', not `hostname'. Try to do this
in a shell; it will probably give the same delay and output as startx.
See `man hostname' for the difference between `hostname', `hostname
-f' and `domainname'.

I recently had the same problem, and the cause was my /etc/hosts. It
looked like this:

	uli:~ $ cat /etc/hosts.old
	127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
	192.168.0.101 uli.hedevej.home

I had another look in The Book and changed it to say

	uli:~ $ cat /etc/hosts
	127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
	192.168.0.101 uli.hedevej.home uli

Note the extra `uli' in the second line.

This solved the problem.

uli

> Do you Yahoo!?

No.