So how do I get packages??

brian auld bauld at hotpop.com
Wed Nov 20 06:03:26 PST 2002

As a general response to all that responded to my post: Thank you.

For the time being, I'll boot to my host system to get packages and then
chroot to LFS to build up my LFS system. I already got 'ncftp' and 'dhcp'
last night so I may be well on my way.

Curiosity question embedded below ...

Csaba Henk wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Nov 2002, Erika Pacholleck wrote:
>
> > [20.11.2002] Brian Auld <-- :
> > > In order to bypass the initial inability to talk to the outside world on
> > > lfs, do people continually boot back and forth from original host to
> > > lfs, or do they boot their original host system, and then do their lfs
> > > stuff in a chrooted window?
> > >
> > > Or, do they do something else?
> >
> > I download all stuff I need, build my lfs, reboot, erase my intial
> > system and stay in my new lfs.
>
> I download all stuff I need, build my lfs, reboot, stay in my new lfs, but
> if I need a utility of the host system that my LFS lacks, I chroot into
> the host distro from LFS.

Starting with LFS was my first introduction to the power of the chroot command.

Question: Regarding the comment above, how is it possible to chroot back to
your
host system after booting into LFS ... when LFS's root filesystem is found in
the
path of the hosts root filesystem at '/mnt/lfs'.

Hmmmm ... would you create a '/mnt/host' directory under your LFS root path,
mount
it to the parition of the host's root filesystem, and then chroot to
'/mnt/host'??