CUPS Re-installation fails

Matt Rogers mattrogers at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 19 10:28:27 PST 2002

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 10:26 am, Richard A Downing wrote:
> On Tuesday 19 November 2002 14:50, you wrote:

> Thanks Matt and Chris.
> The answer (since ghostscript worked fine - I even remembered to install
> the fonts this time !) was the order of compilation.
>
> Cups MUST be installed before ESP Ghostscript otherwise espgs's configure
> doesn't find cups-config and assumes you don't need pstoraster.  Hence cups
> can't convert postscript to raster with gs.
>
> Then install the Gimp-print, and in my case since we don't have zgrep
> (which I think grep's gziped files - next thing to look into...) needs
> --without-translated-ppds otherwise you get about 50 ppds for each printer.
>
> Before the flames ... I must talk to the CUPS-printing hints owner about an
> update....
>
> All the best,
> Richard.

hmm, didn't think about the compile order causing a problem, since i installed
ghostscript after i installed CUPS (after realizing that it might help to be
able to see my physics homework before i print it out)

Does the CUPS documentation from their website mention this anywhere? I don't
remember seeing it, but that's ok, i probably just missed it.

Matt
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org