CUPS Re-installation fails

Matt Rogers mattrogers at sbcglobal.net
Tue Nov 19 06:50:21 PST 2002

On Tuesday 19 November 2002 03:34 am, Chris Lingard wrote:
> Richard A Downing wrote:
> > Hi Guys,
> > I tried posting this in the CUPS mail list, but no one replied...  I'm
> > just hoping that fellow LFS-ers might help me out here.
> >
> > I was having printing problems with a new build of LFS
> > (Benkmann-style-GLIBC2.3.1).
> >
> > I deleted (I think - I used GIT) all the files installed by cups-1.1.15,
> > espgs-7.05.5, and gimp-print-4.2.3.  Then I rebuilt the three packages
> > from sources, in this order, configuring as follows:
> > 1) espgs-7.05.5  ./configure --prefix=/usr --with-gimp-print --with-x
> > 2) cups-1.1.15 ./configure
>
> cups-1.1.15 depends on ghostscript; but version 14 has everything built
> in.  I did not have time to look at it further, so reverted to 14
>
> > This identical configuration is working fine on another system.  I should
> > mention that this system is an LFS built with glibc-2.3.1 and
> > gcc-3.2.1(cvs) - but it was at least printing before I tried the rebuild
> > of the printer stack.
>
> Same here
>
> > Cheers, Richard.
> > ------------------------------
> > Richard A Downing FBCS
> > ------------------------------

Here are some suggestions to try:

1. Make sure that Ghostscript works, and that pure postscript files are being
displayed properly (if you need some test cases, let me know, and i'll
provide some) If you're having problems with the Ghostscript interpreter,
CUPS won't print jack.  if ghostscript does work, then try printing a plain
postscript file

2. Use the GIMP-print driver. It's been my experience that the drivers
included with CUPS kinda suck. the GIMP-print ones are much better.

3. For any file that you try to print, make sure that you have the appropriate
filter so it can be converted to postscript.

Hope this helps,
Matt Rogers
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org