Error compiling docbook-utils-0.6.11

Michael W. Daniels daniels at ling.ohio-state.edu
Mon Nov 18 11:56:03 PST 2002

On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 07:55:02AM -0800, Richard Pinnell wrote:
> When compileing docbook-ustils-0.6.11 according to the
> intructions here:
> http://hints.se.linuxfromscratch.org/hints/docbook.txt
> I get the following errors:
>
> nsgmls:../../doc/docbook-utils.sgml:1:55:W: cannot
> generate system identifier for public text
> "-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN"

This one is responsible for most of the rest. In effect, starting with
/etc/sgml/catalog and continuing to any files referenced therein, you
need to be able to find a catalog file that maps the string
"-//OASIS//DTD DocBook V3.1//EN" to a file on your system. This
message says that the processor couldn't do this. In my system,
there's a file /usr/share/sgml/docbook/sgml-dtd-3.1/catalog that's
referenced in one of the /etc/sgml/*.cat files.

So something probably went wrong when you installed
docbook-sgml-dtd-3.1. You might make sure you didn't miss a command in
that section.

At first, I was a bit confused that versions 3.1, 4.1.2, and 4.2 were
all needed (and 3.0 as well for some of the gnome stuff). But it's
precisely because of these explicit version references that you have
to do that.

Mike Daniels
Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org