hint docbook.txt

Greg Donald greg at destiney.com
Sun Nov 17 18:48:17 PST 2002

In docbook.txt I do not understand the following paragraphs:

<snip>
In each of the following installs the VERSION variable refers to the
version you are installing and the PREVIOUS variable refers to the
previous version of the package installed. So set the variables
accordingly. If you are installing the package for the first time, do not
set the PREVIOUS variable. Set the VERSION variable to the version you are
installing.

The easiest way to use the instructions are to save the instructions into
individual files and then source the file.
</snip>

Source the file?  Is this like how I would source my .bash_profile after
making a change to it?  Or do I copy and paste the commands into a shell
script, then execute that in the source directory?  That seems to be what
is implied, but I cannot be sure.  My LFS system is a new install, so what
is PREVIOUS supposed to be set to?

I think everything was installing correctly up this next part, I was just
doing the commands one at a time manually, but then I got stuck.. How
exactly do I install docbook-sgml-dtd (3.1, 4.1, 4.2)?  When I unzip the
.zip files, I have some files wanting to overwrite other files.  Is there
some prefered directory structure when doing this section?  What are
"VERSION" and "V" supposed to be set to?

Thanks,

--
Greg Donald
http://destiney.com