OT question

destinyXi destinyxi at yahoo.ca
Sun Nov 17 17:08:55 PST 2002

DU(1)                                                       DU(1)

NAME
       du - estimate file space usage

SYNOPSIS
       du [options] [file...]

       POSIX options: [-askx] [--]

       GNU    options    (shortest    form):    [-abcDhHklLmsSxX]
       [--block-size=size]  [--exclude=pattern]   [--max-depth=n]
       [--help] [--version] [--]

DESCRIPTION
       du  reports the amount of disk space used by the specified
       files, and by each directory in the hierarchies rooted  at
       the  specified  files.  Here `disk space used' means space
       used for the entire file  hierarchy  below  the  specified
       file.

       With  no arguments, du reports the disk space for the cur-
       rent directory.

POSIX DETAILS
       The output  is  in  512-byte  units  by  default,  but  in
       1024-byte units when the -k option is given.

GNU DETAILS
       The output is in 1024-byte units (when no units are speci-
       fied  by  options),  unless   the   environment   variable
       POSIXLY_CORRECT is set, in which case POSIX is followed.

POSIX OPTIONS
       -a     Show  counts  for  all  files encountered, not just
              directories.

       -k     Use 1024-byte units instead of the default 512-byte
              units.

       -s     Only  output  space  usage for the actual arguments
              given, not for their subdirectories.

       -x     Only count space on the same device as the argument
              given.

       --     Terminate option list.

GNU OPTIONS
       -a, --all
              Show counts for all files, not just directories.

       -b, --bytes
              Print sizes in bytes, instead of kilobytes.

       --block-size=size
              Print sizes in blocks of size bytes.  (New in file-
              utils-4.0.)

       -c, --total
              Print a grand total  of  all  arguments  after  all
              arguments have been processed.  This can be used to
              find out the total disk usage of  a  given  set  of
              files or directories.

       -D, --dereference-args
              Dereference  symbolic  links  that are command line
              arguments.  Does not affect other  symbolic  links.
              This  is  helpful for finding out the disk usage of
              directories, such as /usr/tmp, which are often sym-
              bolic links.

       --exclude=pattern
              When recursing, skip subdirectories or files match-
              ing pattern.   The  pattern  may  be  any  standard
              Bourne  shell  file  glob  pattern.   (New in file-
              utils-4.0.)

       -h, --human-readable
              Append  a  size  letter,  such  as  M  for   binary
              megabytes (`mebibytes'), to each size.

       -H, --si
              Do  the  same  as  for  -h, but use the official SI
              units (with powers of 1000 instead of 1024, so that
              M  stands for 1000000 instead of 1048576).  (New in
              fileutils-4.0.)

       -k, --kilobytes
              Print sizes in kilobytes.

       -l, --count-links
              Count the size of all  files,  even  if  they  have
              appeared already (as a hard link).

       -L, --dereference
              Dereference  symbolic  links  (show  the disk space
              used by the file or directory that the link  points
              to instead of the space used by the link).

       -m, --megabytes
              Print  sizes  in  megabyte  (that  1,048,576 bytes)
              blocks.

       --max-depth=n
              Print the total for a directory (or file, with  the
              -a  flag) only if it is n or fewer levels below the
              command line argument; --max-depth=0 is the same as
              the -s flag.  (New in fileutils-4.0.)

       -s, --summarize
              Display only a total for each argument.

       -S, --separate-dirs
              Report  the  size of each directory separately, not
              including the sizes of subdirectories.

       -x, --one-file-system
              Skip directories that are on different  filesystems
              from  the  one that the argument being processed is
              on.

       -X file, --exclude-from=file
              Like --exclude, except take the patterns to exclude
              from  the  specified file.  Patterns are listed one
              per line.  If file is given as  `-',  patterns  are
              read  from standard input.  (New in fileutils-4.0.)

GNU STANDARD OPTIONS
       --help Print a usage message on standard output  and  exit
              successfully.

       --version
              Print  version information on standard output, then
              exit successfully.

       --     Terminate option list.

BUGS
       On BSD systems, du reports sizes that are half the correct
       values  for files that are NFS-mounted from HP-UX systems.
       On HP-UX systems, it reports sizes that are twice the cor-
       rect  values  for files that are NFS-mounted from BSD sys-
       tems.  This is due to a flaw in HP-UX; it also affects the
       HP-UX du program.

ENVIRONMENT
       The  variable  POSIXLY_CORRECT  determines  the  choice of
       unit.  If it is not set, and the variable BLOCKSIZE has  a
       value  starting with `HUMAN', then behaviour is as for the
       -h option, unless overridden by -k  or  -m  options.   The
       variables  LANG, LC_ALL, LC_CTYPE and LC_MESSAGES have the
       usual meaning.

CONFORMING TO
       POSIX 1003.2

NOTES
       This page describes du as found in the fileutils-4.0 pack-
       age; other versions may differ slightly.  Mail corrections
       and additions to aeb at cwi.nl.  Report bugs in  the  program
       to fileutils-bugs at gnu.ai.mit.edu.

GNU fileutils 4.0            1998-11                        DU(1)

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org