OT question

Denny B Peeples dpeeples at sw.rr.com
Sun Nov 17 16:01:08 PST 2002

I know this is off-topic, but I need an answer and maybe one of you guys/gals can give it to me.

I need to find out how many Mb are in a directory and all of its subdirectories.  Is there some command similar to df, but which operate on file systems instead of disks?

The reason I want to know, is that I am seriously considering ditching my host distro.  However, I would like to keep the stuff in my $HOME directory.  I need to know how much stuff is there, so I can figure out where to store it while I reformat hda2 to reiserfs and then move my LFS4.0 onto it; then, I can put all of the stuff in $HOME back in it's place.

Any suggestions?

TIA