Automated Kernel Install

destinyXi destinyxi at yahoo.ca
Sat Nov 16 15:00:48 PST 2002

 --- Archaic <archaic at comcast.net> wrote:
> Does anyone see a problem with the following?:
>
> make mrproper &&
> yes ""|make config &&
> cp kernel-config .config &&
> make dep &&
> <...>
>
> I recall that the yes "" was pulled from the chap5 quite awhile ago as
> it did cause some changes to the headers being installed, yet with the
> copying of a pre-made config to .config, would that eliminate the
> problems? I've tried skipping the make {,menu,old}config but make dep
> bombs immediately. I'm not trying to install headers, but the whole
> kernel, yet without user interaction. Any ideas?
  well, if you go into your arch/i386 directory, there's a config file there, i
think it's called defconfig or something like that.  look at that file, it's
the inital configuration that you are starting with, insted of cp kernel-config
.config you can just copy your kernel config there.

  as far as autobuilding your kernel.  i built a small utility in C that builds
a .config based on the modules you have already installed, it's not a difficult
task, you just have to associate a module with a CONFIG_XXX option, then write
out a CONFIG_XXX=yes for all the ones that modules exist already loaded.

  anyway, how i autobuild is simply this:

root at loki:/usr/src/linux > make mrproper &&
> yes "" | make config &&
> cp mycomputer.cfg .config &&
> make dep &&
> make clean &&
> make bzlilo &&
> make modules &&
> make modules_install
make[1]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/arch/i386/boot'
rm -f tools/build
rm -f setup bootsect zImage compressed/vmlinux.out
rm -f bsetup bbootsect bzImage compressed/bvmlinux.out
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/arch/i386/boot/compressed'
[... snip ...]
make[2]: Entering directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.19/drivers/net'
mkdir -p /lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/
cp bonding.o bsd_comp.o eql.o ethertap.o plip.o ppp_async.o ppp_deflate.o
ppp_generic.o ppp_synctty.o pppoe.o pppox.o slhc.o slip.o tun.o
/lib/modules/2.4.19/kernel/drivers/net/
root at loki:/usr/src/linux>

it seems to work well enough for me.

what i suggest is look at WHERE exactly your dep dies, and see what CONFIG_
option it's dying on... i bet you're missing a cr or a space or tab somewhere,
bash scripts can be picky sometimes.

-destinyXi