Automated Kernel Install

Tushar T tush at yahoo.com
Sat Nov 16 11:13:07 PST 2002

Archaic wrote:

>make mrproper &&
>yes ""|make config &&
>cp kernel-config .config &&
>make dep &&
><...>
>
>I recall that the yes "" was pulled from the chap5 quite awhile ago as
>it did cause some changes to the headers being installed, yet with the
>copying of a pre-made config to .config, would that eliminate the
>problems? I've tried skipping the make {,menu,old}config but make dep
>bombs immediately. I'm not trying to install headers, but the whole
>kernel, yet without user interaction. Any ideas?

I use the following:

    make mrproper
    # Use our saved config
    bzcat /backup/linux-config.bz2 > .config
    # See if we should configure or do a automatic build
    if [ -z ${CONFIGURE_KERNEL} ]
    then
        yes "" | make config
    else
        make menuconfig
    fi
    make dep
    make bzImage
    make modules
    make modules_install
    cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/kernel-${VERSION}
    cp System.map /boot/System.map-${VERSION}

--
Tushar Teredesai
LFS ID: 1377

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org