Another XFree86 compile/install error

James Drabb JDrabb at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Nov 16 07:41:37 PST 2002

On 16 Nov 2002 05:42:55 -0600
Jason <jhmorris47 at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> I get just about to the end of the compilation/installation of XFree86
> and then this error popped up:
>
> /usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2/../../../libpng.so: undefined
> reference to `deflate'
>
> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Jason

"defalte" is from zlib.  Did you install lib png?  Did you modify
the libpng make file to point to where zlib is?  Are you following
the xfree86+freetype hint?  You should be able to snoop around
to fix the error.  You might need to recompile libpng and
read the README and makefile.linux.

Also, you should be able to force this build to continue by do the
following:

cd to the directory where the error occured and re-run the gcc
command and add -lz to the command line like so:

gcc -m32 -o xcursorgen -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -march=i686 -ansi \
-pedantic -pipe -L../../exports/lib xcursorgen.o -lXcursor -lXext \
-lX11 -lpng -Wl,-rpath-link,../../exports/lib -lz

One other thing, I think if you cd back to the top level xc directory
and do a make World, the it will start over.  Does someone on the list
know the make invocation to not have X start from the beginning?

If X is starting from the beginning you will need to modify the CFLAGS
in the host.def file to include -lz.

Jim Drabb
James Drabb JR
Programmer Analyst