Daemon xinetd on LFS-4.0

Matt Rogers mattrogers at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 15 21:21:55 PST 2002

On Friday 15 November 2002 08:32 pm, Billy O'Connor wrote:
> Forwarded from lfs-support:
>
>   I compiled and installed xinetd on my new LFS system. When xinetd
>   script
>   executes this command, it said daemon not found:
>
>   daemon xinetd -stayalive -reuse -pidfile /var/run/xinetd.pid
>   xinetd: daemon: command not found
>   RETVAL=127
>
>   Did I forget to install some programs, or "daemon" is part of the
>   kernel?
>
> Try 'loadproc /usr/sbin/xinetd' instead of the daemon line.  Check out
> the bootscripts at:
> http://beyond.us.linuxfromscratch.org/view/cvs/server/xinetd.html
>
> Billy

The daemon command is supplied by the init scripts at boottime. LFS doesn't
provide this particular function, but should provide an equivalent. (I think
it's called startproc, check the other bootscripts and it should shed some
light) Also, IIRC, the BLFS book has a startup script for xinetd in xinetd's
relevent section, and it works beautifully.

Matt

Unsubscribe: send email to listar at linuxfromscratch.org